This summer and fall, over 230 volunteers travelled to farms in Ottawa and surrounding areas to help harvest fresh fruits and vegetables for those in need in the Ottawa Region.
With help from over 130 individual volunteers who were engaged, we have also received tremendous support from corporate, school and faith based groups such as IBM, Adobe, Halsall, Ericsson, Ottawa Montessori School, and congregation members of Emmanuel United Church respectively.
The 2011 harvest season generated over 55,000 pounds of fresh local produce!
Thank you to everyone who participated this year, and to the amazing farmers who donated their time, land, and produce. Your generosity has helped us ensure that those who are hungry will receive the much needed nutrition that only fresh produce can provide.
By the numbers:
Ottawa Farmer’s Market Vendors and patrons
|Gleaning||Local Farms and Gardens||20.355|
Recent Community Harvest Events
- Knotty Bottoms Potato Harvest – Oct 1st
- Adobe – harvesting at Roots and Shoots – Oct 5th
- Ottawa Montessori Students – harvesting at Roots and Shoots – Oct 7th
- RBC Buy Local Share Local Day – Ottawa Farmers’ Market – Oct 9th
- Industry Canada – harvesting at Roots and Shoots – Oct 12th
- IBM Centennial Celebration – Harvesting at Roots and Shoots – Oct 13th
- Ericsson Canada Inc. – gleaning at Needham’s Market Garden – Oct 18th
Harvest Season 2011 Photos