To address health concerns, over the last four years the Ottawa Food Bank has further shifted its focus towards offering healthier food choices including fresh vegetables and fruit, fish, legumes and whole grains. We continue to take action to improve healthier choice options.
With the above knowledge from Diabetes Canada, and the fact that we know the food choices available to a person play a large part in the prevention and control of type 2 diabetes, we look to the foods we help to provide to the community and how they can help with proper health.
One example of a natural super food that has benefits directly related to type 2 diabetes is Oats.
Health Benefits of Oats
Oats seem so simple, but many aren’t fully aware of their benefits or sure what to do with them once they’ve got them.
Did you know that oats:
- Help to improve blood sugar control
- Help with heart health
- Can improve cholesterol levels
- Fill you up so can feel full for longer
- Keep your digestive system healthy and moving well
- Are an anti-inflammatory
- Are a good source of healthy fibre, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, antioxidants, and protein
Cooking With Oats
Rushed in the morning, not hungry and need a breakfast for on the go? This overnight package will be ready and waiting for your morning. Loved by kids and adults alike it will set you up for the day ahead!
- ½ cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup oats
- 1 apple (cored, finely diced or grated, peeled or not- your choice)
- In a small jar, mix oats with milk and yogurt.
- Stir in apple and cinnamon if using or layer these if preferred.
- Put lid on jar and place in fridge overnight
- Ready for breakfast in the morning.
- Next time try a different fruit such as pear, banana or frozen blueberries, anything you have on hand. Experiment!
Recipe inspired by cookspiration.com