In true Ottawa fashion, we have gone from minus temperatures to extreme heat in the blink of an eye. With that in mind, we want to ensure our volunteers stay healthy, hydrated, and continue to have fun while helping the community.
Please consider the following when volunteering on a hot day:
- Keep hydrated and take breaks when needed in a cooler location
- Eat small meals more frequently
- Dress in lightweight, light coloured, loose fitting clothing – shorts and T-shirts are permitted but no tank tops
- Closed toed shoes are still required for all our volunteer activities
- Immediately notify Ottawa Food Bank staff if you ever feel unwell during your shift
- Take it slow – don’t rush yourself
If you need to cancel your volunteer shift due to concerns about the heat – or for any reason – you can do so online by logging into your volunteer profile and go to “My Schedule” and click on the shift you would like to cancel. This is important as it makes it possible for someone else to sign up, and notifies the Ottawa Food Bank staff that you will not be there.
Thank you to all our volunteers for making it possible to provide healthy, accessible, sustainable food for people in need in our city. We want to ensure you stay safe and continue to have fun so together we can carry on helping our community.