We are seeking a dynamic and resourceful person to join the Ottawa Food Bank in the position of Human Resources Manager (Part time). Under the direct supervision of Director of Finance & Administration, the Human Resources Manager is responsible for advising management on a wide range of human resources and labour relations activities, and providing support to both new and existing employees to help them achieve the Ottawa Food Bank’s goals.
- Develops, implements and improves the human resource strategy, and ensures it is aligned with overall goals of the Ottawa Food Bank
- Manages and updates HR policies and procedures
- Ensures compliance with all current and new employment related legislation
- Advises managers about Human Resources legislation, issues, policies and procedures
- Assists managers to understand and implement policies and procedures and respond effectively to/resolve employee concerns
- Creates and updates job descriptions
- Supports the recruitment and selection process (developing job description, preparing and posting job ads, reviewing resumes, interviewing and selecting candidates)
- Completes pre-employment checks for preferred candidates in a timely manner
- Assists managers with providing orientation for new employees, including coordinating the necessary arrangements (technology etc.)
- Assists managers with managing the probationary period, including providing timely feedback
- Coordinates the timing and process for the annual performance review process
- Acts as resource to managers on performance management including the development of departmental goals and performance measures
- Provides advice and recommendations on employee coaching and disciplinary actions
- Develops and delivers training to keep employees highly motivated and informed
- Evaluates the market to ensure that compensation plans are competitive
- Maintains and manages BambooHR online database
- Manages vacation leave, sick leave and all other leaves in BambooHR
- Manages the personnel records and ensures they are kept up to date in BambooHR
- In conjunction with the Director of Operations, ensures and promotes a culture of safety in the workforce; sits as an alternate member of the Health & Safety Committee
- Answers routine employee questions related to HR policies, procedures and programs, including employee benefits and the Employee Assistance Program
- Manages and updates employee handbooks
- Participates in the administration and application of the collective agreement and the grievance process, in conjunction with the Director of Operations
- Participates as a member of the collective bargaining team, negotiating issues relating to pay and working conditions
- Interprets and advises on employment law, including discharge
- Creates and administers employee recognition programs
- Administers ESA/OH&S/AODA poster compliance requirements
- Participates in management meetings and other department team meetings, as required
- Other projects/duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCIES
- General familiarity with office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Knowledge of Human Resources practices and principles
- Knowledge of relevant legislation (ESA, OH&S, AODA) and employment law principles
- Familiar with HRIS applications/software (BambooHR)
- Highly organized, independent and self-directed, with the ability and skills to establish and manage priorities while paying close attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks and/or projects simultaneously while addressing the needs of multiple stakeholders
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage changing priorities
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure
- Ability to explain Human Resource concepts and processes clearly to non-HR staff
- Committed to high performance standards and continuous improvement; open to adopting new, more efficient ways of working to achieve organizational goals
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to seek out solutions to challenges
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including listening, influencing, and persuading others to act
- Judgment, tact, and discretion are required when dealing with employee issues
- Demonstrated ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and integrity at all times
Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a Human Resources generalist role.
EDUCATION AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
University degree or college diploma in a relevant field and a Certificate in Human Resources Management, or CHRP/CHRL designation (in progress) or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONTACTS
The work involves ongoing contact with the management team and employees.
Tact, discretion, and good judgment are necessary when dealing with employee issues and advising managers. The ability to effectively identify problems and resolve conflicts is required to coach managers and employees on issues and concerns.
This position has no direct reports.
CONSEQUENCE OF ERRORS
Errors in judgment could impact the application and administration of the collective agreement and the general HR policies and procedures of the Ottawa Food Bank, leaving the organization vulnerable to compliance concerns, operational issues, or a negative image.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND TRAVEL
Work is performed in an office environment, with some time spent in the warehouse, or in Food Bank vehicles.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The work is stressful at times due to the demands of the work, multiple priorities, deadlines and the need for confidentiality at all times. Visual stress occurs when using a computer for long periods of time.
Excellent English language skills (verbal and written) are a requirement of the position. Intermediate French language skills (verbal) are an asset.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
This is a permanent part time position working 3 days per week. Benefits provided.
To apply, please send via email your resume and covering letter which clearly indicates how you meet each of the requirements of the position, no later than August 23rd to HR@ottawafoodbank.ca
Please quote HRM2015 in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.