The Glebe Community Association and the Glebe BIA are taking the Great Glebe Garage Sale online this summer with a virtual event to benefit the Ottawa Food Bank, via the GiveShop app.
It’s a great way to sell your stuff online and help those less fortunate in our community gain access to food at the same time. The money from the sale goes towards our cause, and you get a charitable tax receipt for the purchase amount.
The organizers are hoping the Great Glebe Garage Sale – Virtual Edition will help close the fundraising gap for our cause left by the cancellation of this year’s community-wide event.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the app for free from your favourite App Store.
- On the app, “sellers” post photos of the items they are willing to donate and choose the Great Glebe Garage Sale fundraising group. (The initial bid price must be at least $25.)
- Buyers check in regularly to see what’s for sale and make offers on items they’d like to buy.
- Once a donor and a buyer agree on the price, they communicate via the app to arrange the pickup.
- The buyer picks up the item and pays by credit card using the app.
- Sale proceeds, minus GiveShop’s 15% platform fee, go to the Ottawa Food Bank, which issues a charitable receipt to the donor for purchase amounts over $10. (For more information, see GiveShop’s website at giveshop.ca.)
This year’s Great Glebe Garage Sale – Virtual Edition will be held from July 20 to September 7.
To buy or sell: