The Glebe Community Association and the Glebe BIA are taking the Great Glebe Garage Sale online this summer with a virtual event to benefit the Ottawa Food Bank, via the GiveShop app.
It’s a great way to sell your stuff online and help those less fortunate in our community gain access to food at the same time. The money from the sale goes towards our cause, and you get a charitable tax receipt for the purchase amount.
The organizers are hoping the Great Glebe Garage Sale – Virtual Edition will help close the fundraising gap for our cause left by the cancellation of this year’s community-wide event.
Here’s how it works:
- Download the app for free from your favourite App Store.
- On the app, “sellers” post photos of the items they are willing to donate and choose the Great Glebe Garage Sale fundraising group. (The initial bid price must be at least $25.)
- Buyers check in regularly to see what’s for sale and make offers on items they’d like to buy.
- Once a donor and a buyer agree on the price, they communicate via the app to arrange the pickup.
- The buyer picks up the item and pays by credit card using the app.
- Sale proceeds, minus GiveShop’s 15% platform fee, go to the Ottawa Food Bank, which issues a charitable receipt to the donor for purchase amounts over $10. (For more information, see GiveShop’s website at giveshop.ca.)
This year’s Great Glebe Garage Sale – Virtual Edition will be held from July 20 to September 7.
To buy or sell:
Download the free GiveShop app from the App Store or Google Play. Sign up and choose the Great Glebe Garage Sale as your preferred fundraising group.
We, at Rideau Park United Church, are looking at options for our fall Bazaar. Could you tell me what platform you are using for the advertising, bidding, etc.? Thank you so much
Hi! Thank you for reaching out. The Glebe Garage Sale will be using the GiveShop app. I do not think there are bidding capabilities on this platform.
hey I downloaded the link but in trying to establish an account it wanted a charity but it kept giving me no option. I have a racoon coat I want to sell – could go for $300. What do I do?
When i go on the app to check off the charity of choice, the Great Glebe garage sale does NOT come up as a choice? Am i doing something wrong?
Hi! Thank you for reaching out. For your charity of choice, if you are trying to support our cause, you need to enter Ottawa Food Bank as a charity. The GiveShop app already knows you are using it for the Great Glebe Garage Sale.
Hopefully, this makes sense!
It did not let me input anything. Just said no option.
Hi, I have just created an account myself to try and troubleshoot this issue. When I sign up for an account, it asked me which is my preferred charity, which is where you would then choose Ottawa Food Bank from the drop-down menu. Let me know if this works!
As I said it did not let me input anything just said no option.
That is very weird. In that case, I recommend you reach out directly to GiveShop at 1-800-448-0972 or email@example.com so they can better help you resolve this technical issue.
My apologies that I could not be of more help!