Today is a day that honours the lost children and Survivors of residential schools, their families and communities. This last year has further brought to light the horrors that happened at these schools and we know now more than ever that the past cannot be ignored.
Today’s commemoration is a direct response to Action 80 in the Truth and Reconciliation report that details the 94 calls to action. This is a start, but there is more to do. In the vein of doing more, below are some helpful resources as well as some amazing organizations who are fundraising and working towards Truth and Reconciliation or who support our Indigenous Communities.
- Indian Residential School Survivors and Family 24-Hour Crisis Line: 1-800-721-0066
- National Residential School Crisis Line: 1-866-925-4419
- First Nation and Inuit Hope and Wellness 24/7 Help Line: 1-855-242-3310
- Reconciliation through Indigenous Education
- Cultivating Change: Indigenous Food Sovereignty: Creating Ethical Spaces of Engagement